Dr. Jantamas Kanitwithayanun
Name: Dr. Jantamas Tuntawiroon Kanitwithayanun
Office address: Laboratory of Pharmacology, 4 th Floor, Biomedical Science Building
54 Kamphaeng Phet 6 Talat Bang Khen, Lak Si, Bangkok 10210, Thailand
Tel: +66 2553 8555 (ext. 3167)
Position: Research Scientist
• Impact of environmental pollutants and industrial chemicals, particularly carcinogenic compounds on human health through the use of various biological markers
• Oxidative stress and inflammation
• Doctor of Philosophy (Environmental Toxicology, Technology and Management) Inter-university program between Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Chulabhorn Research Institute (CRI) and Mahidol University (MU), Thailand
Area of expertise
• Environmental toxicology study, assessment of the possible harmful effects of carcinogenic pollutants on human health
• Glyphosate induces growth of estrogen receptor alpha positive cholangiocarcinoma cells via non-genomic estrogen receptor/ERK1/2 signaling pathway
Sritana N, Suriyo T, Kanitwithayanun J, Songvasin BH, Thiantanawat A, Satayavivad J.
Food Chem Toxicol. 2018; 118: 595-607.
• An engineered cell line lacking OGG1 and MUTYH glycosylases implicates the accumulation of genomic 8-oxoguanine as the basis for paraquat mutagenicity.
Tajai P, Fedeles BI, Suriyo T, Navasumrit P, Kanitwithayanun J, Essigmann JM, Satayavivad J.
Free Radic Biol Med. 2018;116: 64-72.
• Oxidative DNA damage and inflammatory responses in cultured human cells and in humans exposed to traffic-related particles.
Vattanasit U, Navasumrit P, Khadka MB, Kanitwithayanun J, Promvijit J, Autrup H, Ruchirawat M.
Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2014; 217(1):23-33.
• Increased health risk in Bangkok children exposed to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from traffic-related sources.
Tuntawiroon J, Mahidol C, Navasumrit P, Autrup H, Ruchirawat M.
Carcinogenesis. 2007; 28:816-22.
• Assessment of potential cancer risk in children exposed to urban air pollution in Bangkok, Thailand.
Ruchirawat M, Settachan D, Navasumrit P, Tuntawiroon J, Autrup H.
Toxicol Lett. 2007; 168:200-9.
• Measurement of genotoxic air pollutant exposures in street vendors and school children in and near Bangkok.
Ruchirawat M, Navasumrit P, Settachan D, Tuntawiroon J, Buthbumrung N, Sharma S.
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2005; 206:207-14.
• The pharmacodynamic study of a potent new antimalarial (MC1).
Satayavivad J, Watcharasit P, Khamkong P, Tuntawiroon J, Pavaro C, Ruchirawat S.
Acta Trop. 2004; 89:343-9.
• Exposure to genotoxins present in ambient air in Bangkok, Thailand–particle associated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and biomarkers.
Ruchirawa M, Mahidol C, Tangjarukij C, Pui-ock S, Jensen O, Kampeerawipakorn O, Tuntawiroon J, Aramphongphan A, Autrup H.
Sci Total Environ. 2002; 287:121-32.
• Arsenic exposure and histological alterations of pancreas.
Satayavivad J, Chirapathomsakul D, Lordngern S, Tuntawiroon J, Yoovathaworn K, Wanitchanon C.
Toxicology. 2001: 164 (1-3):66.
• Alterations of central muscarinic functions during subchronic exposure to acrylonitrile in rats.
Satayavivad J, Thiantanawat A, Tuntawiroon J, Watcharasit P, Ruchirawat M.
Res Comm Biol Psycho Psych. 1998; 23(1&2):29-42.
The Outstanding Poster Presentation Award on Perspectives in Environmental Health Research, Center of Excellent on Environmental Health, Toxicology and Management of Chemicals. August 21, 2011. Chulabhorn Convention Center, Chulabhorn Research Institute, Bangkok, Thailand.
Sittidetboripat N, Navasumrit P, Parnlop V, Tantawiroon J, and Ruchirawat M.
Effects of carbonyl emissions from biofuel combustion on DNA damage and expression of DNA repair genes in human lymphoblasts
The First Prize Poster Presentation Award on Trends in Environmental Health and Toxicology Research. Center of Excellent on Environmental Health, Toxicology and Management of Chemicals. June 27-28, 2009. Chulabhorn Convention Center, Chulabhorn Research Institute, Bangkok, Thailand.
Chotikapukana P, Navasumrit P, Tuntawiroon J, Kampeerawipakorn O and Ruchirawat M.
Assessment of exposure and health effects of carcinogenic volatile organic compounds in populations in industrial and urban areas
The Second Prize Poster Presentation Award on Center of Excellent on Environmental Health, Toxicology and Management of Chemicals, 2008. Chulabhorn Convention Center, Chulabhorn Research Institute, Bangkok, Thailand.
Tuntawiroon J, Buthbumrung N, Autrup H, Navasamrit P and Ruchirawat M.
Exposure to genotoxic air pollutants and assessment of health risk in school children, Bangkok, Thailand
Good Poster Award on The 27th Congress on Science and Technology of Thailand. Prince of Songkla, Hat Yai, Thailand. October 16-18, 2001. p.628.
Suriyo T, Tuntawiroon J, Soontararuks S, Satayavivad J.
Modification of rotational behavior during subchronic exposure to paraquat in rat